One Page Flyer
Meme-Inspired Social Media Graphics
This is a sampling of my Adobe Illustrator work.
For this project, we had to draw something metal in Illustrator. I used a photo of a stainless steel Lincoln Continental I had taken at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana. The fact the car was metal (not painted) made it much easier to draw! This was a great way to learn how to use the gradient mesh tool.
In sticking with the Auburn theme, another project was to take an existing logo and replicate it. My replica is on the left.
In this project, we had to hand draw something and make a beer or wine label out of it. The other requirement is that the drawing had to be stippled (i.e. drawn by making a series of dots instead of lines). When I heard about a beer called Careless Whisper IPA by Our Brewing Company in Holland, Michigan, I knew I had my product (I’m a big George Michael fan). Our Brewing doesn’t bottle their beer, so it was fun to have full creative control over the design. I don’t know about you, but when I think of Careless Whisper, I think of the sax line…
The purpose of this assignment was to design a package for something. Being a knitter, I noticed yarn and yarn kits rarely come in a box. I wanted to create a box that would hold the kit contents as well as be able to be used as a gift box when the project was finished.
I was thinking I would be using the box for my own yarn products, so I wanted to make something I could print on a home printer on demand. I liked the look of pillow boxes, and I have used this tutorial to make small ones, so I thought I could make one with two 8.5″ x 11″ sheets of paper. I ended up with a very odd shape when I folded the ends and I hated it.
Then I got the idea that the ends reminded me of my character, Angry Owl. So I drew a mockup on the paper:
That shape also reminded me of the cat logo I did for my friend Lea of Ginger Cat Knits:
When I showed them to Lea, she said it reminded her of the Owl and the Pussycat. I wasn’t familiar with the poem, but I learned there was also a turkey and a pig. That got my wheels spinning. Now I had two problems; how do I make this package (what shape is it?, can I even do it?) and what do these animals look like? It would be geared towards children, but the people buying the kit would likely be adults.
After several iterations, I settled on this shape for the box and this style for the animals. As my instructor pointed out, they were a little bland. Let’s get some color in there!
Very well, then. Here’s some color and texture per your suggestion, Mr. Instructor. (Good idea.) The animals had a cardboard texture added to them, so they look like they are made out of bits of paper or felt. I carried that over to the background of the box, and used Ginger Cat purple on them.
I was a wee bit optimistic thinking I could finish all four by the deadline when I didn’t have the proper product photography and we weren’t sure how we were going to print these and make them into real things. We settled on the cat design and printed it on economy vinyl and stuck it to white cardstock.
I know there are some design/engineering issues that need fixing if I were to produce these, and I also know there’s a very good reason I did not go into engineering! Overall, I’m thrilled with how it turned out (as were Lea and Mr. Instructor)!