Little Bits of Fiber – Part 2

I had so much fun making the last post (I hope you enjoyed reading it!) that I thought maybe you’d like to see what I do with fluffies.

Apparently, I really like turquoise and orange…I found a fluffy that was similar to an upcoming fluffy for the 40 Days of Fluffies so I decided to play with it. 🙂 This was also an idea I came up with while I was getting ready for work, so that’s why the photos have a little to be desired.

The raw fluffy

When I’m spinning up batts I’ve made, I like to start by splitting them in half (or whatever fraction I’m spinning…thirds, quarters, etc.) I don’t know what possessed me to split the batt in this direction. Normally I split lengthwise, but never fear. I got basically the same result had I split it the other direction.

Oops. I was so excited about writing this post I ripped it in half!

Regardless of the direction the batt is split, I grab one end of it and pull the other end to pull it apart, basically pre-drafting the fiber. I like doing this because it makes it easier to spin and the color is more even. Personally, I don’t care for coarsely blended batts where I get huge blobs of colors while I’m spinning. I probably overcompensate by over blending my batts, but I’m ok with that.

The secret is finding the right spacing between your hands. Too far and you’re holding two pieces, too close and you’re wondering if you should have your Wheaties for breakfast.

Here are the two pre-drafted halves. They look like roving. I find it hard to keep the fiber even when I’m pulling, but I don’t worry about it much. There’s thicker and thinner spots, but I’ll roll it into a loose ball and start spinning.

See how the color blended a little more? It also got soft and airy!

Now you go to work and come home and spin it into yarn. While that was part of this process, it’s not required. (This is an awful attempt at humor, isn’t it?)

In all seriousness, each bobbin contains one of the pre-drafts from above. I spun closer to my default, which resulted in a fingering weight instead of a lace weight.

I was fairly even in my splitting and spinning so both bobbins were almost equal. When I run out on one bobbin, I’ll wind the remaining single  into a loose pull out skein and overlap the ball’s end to the short end on the wheel for 2’ish inches and let lots of twist get in that area. It probably isn’t the strongest join in the world, but I like it better than a knot and I think it’ll be invisible and a non-issue in a knitted or crocheted piece. I figure worst case, I’ll have to go back and knot just that ply.

I normally have a lot more on one bobbin than the other. Not this time!

Here’s the finished yarn. I like to let it soak in super hot tap water for 15-30 minutes (it depends on if I’m in hurry or if I forgot I was washing yarn). I’m actually super naughty and I wring the yarn hard before blotting the excess water out with a towel. I haven’t had a problem (yet) but you’re not supposed to do that with wool. 😉 Then I hang it over a hanger and let it dry.

I really like this yarn. I don’t know what to do with it…

This one was around 14 grams in weight and it yielded 96 yards of yarn. Not bad. It was an instant gratification spinning project that I really enjoyed. It was my third skein of the week and it made me feel like I accomplished something.

I hope you enjoyed this post. I would love to hear from you. Let me know what you think below!